Thin Crust Pizza Dough
Once I figured out how to spread out a thin crust pizza dough, The Thin Crust Pizza Silver Bullet, I worked on finding a dough recipe I liked. This recipe is for thin crust. Yes it does involve kneading but the amount of dough is small so it is not hard to do with your hands. This way also you can feel the dough and when it is ready.
This recipe is for enough to make two 12″ pizzas. I place the extra dough in a plastic bag in the fridge. You can use it the next day or freeze for longer storage. Just permit to thaw before using it.
Dressing the pizza is another topic. I’ll do a post on that soon.
- ¾ cup (175 g) Water - Lukewarm
- 1½ tsp (5 g) Yeast
- 2 cup (250 g) All Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- ¾ tsp Sea Salt
- 3 TBSP (35 g) Olive Oil
- 2 pieces about 15x15” - Parchment paper
- For parchment paper - Non-stick spray or vegetable oil
- In a large bowl whisk warm water and yeast until the yeast dissolves. I find adding a touch of honey or sugar helps.
- In a medium bowl whisk dry ingredients.
- Add the olive oil to the yeast mixture.
- Add the flour mixture to the water/yeast mixture, mixing with a large wooden spoon.
- The dough should be slightly sticky. If too sticky, add some flour.
- Lightly flour your counter and knead the dough for 5 minutes.
- Place in a large greased bowl such as the bowl the flour was measured in.
- Cling wrap.
- Ferment: Let doough rise for 30 minutes.
- Part way through rise, heat oven to 450°F/230°C/Gas 8 - Hot with a pizza stone or steel cookie sheet on the bottom rack. A stone or sheet is not required but does help. The oven should heat up for about 30 minutes.
- Punch down dough and divide into 2 equal parts. You can make 2 pizzas or place one in a plastic bag and refrigerate.
- Roll out the dough between 2 sheets of greased parchment paper.
- Optional Proof: If you want a thicker crust, let the dough rise for up to 10 minutes. You can have dough from cracker thin with no proof to about ¼" (1/2 cm) with a full proof.
- Remove the top parchment sheet. It peels off easily.
- Dress the dough with your favourite sauce and toppings.
- Leaving the pizza on the parchment paper, bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from oven, slide off the paper and serve