Potato bread using flaked potatoes is one of my favourite breads. Sweet and light it is wonderful just plain as well as toasted with jam. My grandkids go nuts over it.
- Bread Flour - 3 cups (390 g)
- Instant Potato Flakes - ⅓ cup (27 g)
- Instant Yeast - 2.25 tsp (7 g)
- Sugar - 2 TBSP (25 g)
- Salt - 1 tsp (6 g)
- Water (~95°F, 35°C) - ½ cup (118 g)
- Butter - 2 TBSP (28 g)
- Milk - ¾ cup (183 g)
- Olive Oil - 1 TBSP (14 g)
- Mix flour, potato flakes, sugar, salt and yeast in a large bowl.
- Mix water, milk and butter is a measuring cup. Combine and warm to (~95°F, 35°C)
- Add water/milk mixture and flour mixture to the mixer bowl going back and forth.
- Knead 8-10 minutes
- Lightly grease the large bowl and place dough in.
- Cling wrap bowl.
- Ferment 45 minutes
Ferment Ripe Test
- Gently deflate the dough and place on a lightly dusted surface.
- Form into boule and place on the greased pie plate.
- Cover with bowl.
- Proof 30 minutes. Proof Ripe Test
- Place pizza stone on the bottom shelf of the oven.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C/Gas 4. Give the oven an extra 5 minutes after it reaches temperature for the stone to also heat up fully.
- Score the loaf. Brush scores with olive oil.
- Bake for 45 minutes
or until a thermometer inserted into the center registers at least 190°F/88°C.
- Cool on a wire rack.
This loaf has great oven spring with nice tearing action on the scores.