Lux White Bread
This is a luxurious white bread. It has a soft crumb and a wonderful crisp crust created by an olive oil wash. It is quickly becoming a favourite in my house. This recipe comes with a variety of choices. For the fat, you may use vegetable oil, olive oil, butter or vegetable shortening. For sweetness, try honey, sugar or maple syrup. Side note, I live on a working maple syrup farm in Canada so syrup is a way of life with us. And last, for milk, use whole or evaporated.
This is not a complicated recipe and the steps are not time consuming. Most of the timeline is waiting for fermenting, proofing and baking. Your choice of fat and sweetener will impact how much flour you need. If the dough does not form a ball on the mixer hook then add some flour. Not too much. I do it a heaping tablespoon at a time. This dough can easily get too firm.
The dough starts with a 30 minute pre-ferment of water, yeast and one cup of flour.
The dough is easy to work with and due to the fat and milk does not require any flour on the table.
The recipe calls for a loaf pan but I also free form this as a boule. The load pan gives a more refined appearance and a better sandwich look. Personally I love sandwiches made from a boule.
- Flour - All Purpose - 1 cup (130 g)
- Water - Warm (~95°F, 35°C) - 1 cup (227 g)
- Instant Yeast - 1½ tsp (5 g)
- Flour - All Purpose - divided - 2½ - 3 cups (325 - 390 g)
- Milk - Whole OR Evaporated - ⅜ cup (85 g)
- FAT - Vegetable oil - 3 TBSP (41 g)
OR - Olive Oil - 3 TBSP (41 g)
OR - Butter - 3 TBSP (38 g)
OR - Vegetable Shortening - 3 TBSP (33 g)
Honey - 2 TBSP (43 g)
OR - Sugar - 2 TBSP (25 g)
OR - Maple Syrup - 2 TBSP (38 g)
- Salt - 1½ tsp (9 g)
- Olive Oil - 1 TBSP (15 g)
- 9x5 Loaf Pan OR
- 12x5.5 Hearth Pan OR
- 9" Pie Pan
- Mix water, yeast and flour in the mixer bowl.
- Cling wrap and ferment 30 minutes.
- Combine milk, fat and honey (if used) and warm (~95°F, 35°C).
If all are room temperature you do not need to heat them.
- Mix remaining flour, salt and sugar (if used).
- Add milk mix and remaining flour mix into the mixer bowl. I go back in forth with some fluid then some flour. If dough is too loose add some more flour.
- Knead 5-8 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl.
- Cling wrap and ferment 1½ hours
- Punch down and place in a greased 8.5x4.5 loaf pan.
- Proof 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°F/190°C/Gas 5
I use a pizza stone. Preheat for an extra 5-10 minutes to give the stone time to fully heat. This will improve the oven spring.
- Score the loaf. Brush loaf with olive oil.
Bake for 35 minutes
or until a thermometer inserted into the center registers at least 190°F/88°C.
- Cool on a wire rack.
Here are some images of a loaf: evaporated milk, olive oil and maple syrup.