Cheese Dinner Rolls
Once you make dinner roll dough and ferment it, you have many choices in how to make your rolls. You can divide and put the dough balls in a muffin tin. I also like to then cover in a cinnamon sugar to make a sweeter variation. I love this recipe as it is easy to make and so yummy. The total time from start to rolls out of the oven is only 2 hours 20 minutes.
In this recipe I form the dough into 8 boules, then place in an 8×3 round pan. After proofing an egg wash and cover in grated cheddar cheese and bake.
When I first made this variation with the grated cheese on top the melted cheese stuck to the pan. This made removing the rolls a challenge without damaging their appearance. The trick I found was putting parchment paper on the pan sides. This keeps the cheese in and the resulting loaf falls out of the pan.
- Water (~95°F, 35°C) - ¼ cup (59 g)
- Milk (~95°F, 35°C) - ½ cup (122 g)
- Yeast - Instant - 2.25 tsp (7 g)
- Flour - All purpose - 2-2¼ cups (260-290 g)
- Sugar - 2 TBSP (25 g)
- Salt - ½ tsp (3 g)
- Butter - 2 TBSP (28 g)
- Egg - 1 (50 g)
- Water - 1 TBSP (15 ml)
- Cheddar cheese (grated) - ½ cup (60 g)
- Mix and warm water/milk
- Combine yeast and water/milk in mixer bowl. Let stand a few minutes
- Combine flour, sugar and salt in a bowl.
- Gradually add flour mixture and butter to mixer bowl
Knead 8 minutes.
- Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl.
- Cling wrap bowl.
Ferment for 45 minutes.
- Punch down. Divide dough into 12 pieces and round them.
- Grease the cake pan
- Tip: If you are going to put cheese on the top, place a piece of parchment paper around the pan inside to one inch above the edge. This will prevent melted cheese sticking to the pan and making it easier to remove the rolls.
- Arrange them in an 8x3 inch cake pan
Proof 30 minutes.
- Beat egg with water. Strain to remove egg white clumps
- Wash the surface with egg mixture
- Sprinkle grated cheddar cheese on the top
- Preheat the oven to 375°F/190°C/Gas 5.
Bake for 25 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack. May be served warm